Duncanville in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This area was first settled in the 1840s and 1850s by pioneer farmers and ranchers. In 1881 the Chicago, Texas & Mexican Central Railroad extended a line here and constructed a switching station. John Duncan, who lived in the vicinity, was instrumental in securing railroad right-of-way. As a result, the area became known as Duncan Switch. Charles P. Nance and Chris Horne opened the first business in the area, a store at this site. Nance applied for a post office for Duncan but was denied because there was already a Duncan, Texas. He then changed the name to Duncanville. On Oct. 12, 1882, the post office was approved and opened in the store.
Acquired by the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad in 1883, the rail line through this area allowed local goods to be shipped to distant markets. Duncanville's growth was gradual, however, and by the 1930s only about 300 people lived here. Incorporated in 1947 with D. L. Hopkins, Jr. as the first mayor, the town began to experience Rapid Growth in the 1950s and 1960s as a result of nearby urban development.
Today, Duncanville serves as the center of a major commercial area. Its continued
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6680.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 39.27′ N, 96° 54.48′ W. Marker is in Duncanville, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and E. Davis Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 320 N Main Street, Duncanville TX 75116, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John C. Pelt (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Christian Church of Duncanville (approx. 0.3 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Duncanville (approx. 0.4 miles away); Music Room (approx. 0.4 miles away); History of the Duncanville Historical Park Windmill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Penn Springs (approx. 1.7 miles away); Trees Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); John Shelby Wisdom (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Duncanville.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 282 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 12, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.