Menominee in Menominee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Menominee County Courthouse Bell
Forged by the Meneely Bell Co. in
West Troy, New York in 1875.
Placed in courthouse bell tower — 1876
Removed from bell tower — Sept. 2008
Made of a bronze alloy
Bell weighs 1102 lbs including yoke and cradle
Bottom width of bell is 34 inches
When rung — main tone is B flat
Placed in new home on court house lawn
in summer of 2012
GFWC Menominee Woman’s Club and
The Menominee Area Arts Council collaborated
to provide the bell a new home.
Erected 2012 by GFWC Menominee Woman's Club and Menominee Area Arts Council.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 45° 6.458′ N, 87° 36.843′ W. Marker is in Menominee, Michigan, in Menominee County. Marker is on 10th Avenue just east of 10th Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker and subject bell are located near the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 909 10th Avenue, Menominee MI 49858, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. John the Baptist Catholic Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Menominee Area (approx. ¼ mile away); Spies Public Library (approx. 0.4 miles away); Menominee / Main Street Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Bay de Nocquet Trail (approx. 0.6 miles away); Menominee River (approx. 0.8 miles away in Wisconsin); 10,000 Board Feet of Logs (approx. 0.8 miles away in Wisconsin); Evancheck Cabin (approx. 0.9 miles away in Wisconsin). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Menominee.
Regarding Menominee County Courthouse Bell. National Register of Historic Places #75000958. Michigan State Historic Site (1974).
Also see . . . Menominee County Courthouse (Wikipedia). The Menominee County Courthouse is a three story Classical Revival building constructed of red brick, sitting on a rock-faced ashlar basement. It was constructed in 1874-75 from a design by Chicago architect G.P. Randall. The building originally housed a jail on the first floor, county offices on the second floor, and the courtroom on the third floor. (Submitted on August 12, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 117 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 12, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.