Duncanville in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Christian Church of Duncanville
This congregation traces its origin to informal services held in Duncanville (Est. 1882) in the early 1890s by the Rev. G. Q. Grasty of nearby Lancaster. According to local tradition Robert N. Daniel, the son of a local Baptist preacher, and his wife Frances A. (Palmer) played an important role in the formal organization of the congregation in 1893. They were among the church's seventeen charter members.
Services were held in a schoolhouse until 1913 when a sanctuary was built with funds donated by Robert and Frances. In 1916 Frances deeded the land on which the church was built to the congregation. Misfortune struck when the sanctuary was accidentally destroyed by fire in 1917 and the bank entrusted with funds to replace it failed. The congregation persevered and completed a new sanctuary in 1919. A classroom, choir loft, and two wings were added to the structure in 1923.
Weekly services began in 1949. The church built a new sanctuary here in 1959 on a lot it had purchased from a Daniel family member in 1953. The church added an educational wing in 1968 and fellowship hall in 1988. First Christian Church continues to
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6695.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 39.024′ N, 96° 54.577′ W. Marker is in Duncanville, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Avenue C, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 203 S Main Street, Duncanville TX 75116, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church of Duncanville (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Duncanville (approx. 0.3 miles away); John C. Pelt (approx. 0.4 miles away); Penn Springs (approx. 1.4 miles away); Trees Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away); Little Bethel Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Daniel Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); John Shelby Wisdom (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Duncanville.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 12, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.