Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old College

Erected 1833-1834

 
 
Old College Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 9, 2016
1. Old College Marker
Inscription.  This building contained a chapel (called the Oratory) class, dormitory, dining, administrative, and student society rooms. Newark College chartered February 5, 1833, opened its doors for instruction May 8, 1834. Name changed to Delaware College April 4, 1843. Willard Hall, first President of Board of Trustees; Rev. Dr. Eliphalet W. Gilbert, first President; Nathan Monroe and John Holmes Agnew, first professors; Alexander T. Gray, the first student, was enrolled as a sophomore.
 
Erected 1933 by Historic Markers Commission. (Marker Number NC-A3.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list.
 
Location. 39° 41.031′ N, 75° 45.221′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on E. Main Steet (Delaware Route 273), on the right when traveling west. This is at the top of the stairs, on the left. Photo 3 is also at the top of the stairs, on the right. Photo 4 is at the foot of the
Old College image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 9, 2016
2. Old College
stairs, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18 E Main Street, Newark DE 19716, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Recitation Hall Annex (within shouting distance of this marker); Recitation Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Mechanical Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Diamonds Walkway (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jastak-Burgess Hall (about 300 feet away); Raub Hall (about 300 feet away); Alumni Hall (about 300 feet away); George Evans House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
 
Old College Rededication image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 9, 2016
3. Old College Rededication
October 1, 1978
National Register of Historic Places image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 9, 2016
4. National Register of Historic Places
Old College Marker image. Click for full size.
By Carl Gordon Moore Jr., August 16, 2020
5. Old College Marker
Another copy of historic-place designation, but just off Main Street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 328 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on August 12, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 9, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   5. submitted on August 17, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 1, 2021