Duncanville in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Duncanville
This congregation grew from a Union Sunday School that was organized in 1882, soon after the railroad reached Duncanville. Classes met weekly at Union Hall, an interdenominational place of worship that had served the surrounding communities for several years. The Methodist Church in Duncanville was organized officially in 1883 with fourteen charter members and the Rev. George W. Owens as its first pastor. In 1889, during the pastorate of the Rev. C. G. Shutt, the congregation erected its first church building at this site. It served the congregation for about 40 years until a larger structure was built.
First United Methodist Church of Duncanville, whose growth has paralleled that of the city, has seen its greatest increase in membership since the close of World War II. After years as a circuit church, the congregation became a full-time station in 1946.
Through the years, the church has actively served and met the needs of the community. Many of Duncanville's earliest settlers and town leaders have been members here. With its founding dating to the first days of the city's settlement, the First United Methodist Church
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6706.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 38.935′ N, 96° 54.595′ W. Marker is in Duncanville, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on West Daniel Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 206 W Daniel Street, Duncanville TX 75116, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Christian Church of Duncanville (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Music Room (approx. ¼ mile away); History of the Duncanville Historical Park Windmill (approx. 0.3 miles away); Duncanville (approx. 0.4 miles away); John C. Pelt (approx. half a mile away); Penn Springs (approx. 1.3 miles away); Trees Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Little Bethel Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Duncanville.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 119 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 13, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.