Cedar Hill in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Cedar Hill
The first church occupied by this congregation was destroyed by a tornado in 1856, two years after the fellowship was organized. A frame building was erected in 1883 on a lot adjacent to this site. It was replaced in 1900 by this structure. Typical of many churches that once dominated the countryside, this edifice has an off-center entry tower and Gothic detailing. The bell placed here in 1900 still summons worshipers.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6705.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Disasters.
Location. 32° 35.454′ N, 96° 57.503′ W. Marker is in Cedar Hill, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on North Roberts Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 128 N Roberts Road, Cedar Hill TX 75104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dr. R. A. Roberts House (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of Cedar Hill (approx. Little Bethel Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); Trees Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); Pleasant Valley Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Penn Springs (approx. 3.6 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Duncanville (approx. 4.9 miles away); First Christian Church of Duncanville (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cedar Hill.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 13, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.