Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

New London Avenue School

 
 
New London Avenue School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 9, 2016
1. New London Avenue School Marker
Inscription.  The first documented public school for African-American youth in the Newark community was established in 1867 by the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen and Abandoned Lands. This was one of several schools established in Delaware during the post-Civil War "reconstruction" period through this federal government program, which was designed to assist African-Americans in former slave states. In 1922 a new school housing grades 1-8 was built here on land purchased from John Nields. There were four classrooms on the first floor and a lunchroom in the basement. Funding for construction was provided by P. S. duPont and the Delaware School Auxiliary Association. The building functioned as a school until integration took place in 1958. The school and surrounding property, also known as "School Hill", was an important meeting place for neighborhood residents for social and recreational gatherings as well. In 1961, the City of Newark purchased the building and grounds. Significant renovations took place and the New London Community Center opened in 1970. In 1977, the building was renamed in honor of George M. Wilson, a leader in improving housing conditions for
New London Avenue School image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 9, 2016
2. New London Avenue School
members of Newark's African-American community and former member of Newark's City Council.
 
Erected 2008 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-183.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansEducation. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list.
 
Location. 39° 41.371′ N, 75° 45.653′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on New London Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 303 New London Road, Newark DE 19711, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Newark's New London Community (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mt. Zion Union American Methodist Episcopal (UAME) Church (approx. ¼ mile away); St. John African Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); New London Road Community (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pride of Delaware Lodge #349 IBPOEW (approx. 0.3 miles away); R.T. Foard and Jones Funeral Home (approx. half a mile away); Deer Park Hotel (approx. half a mile away); Old College (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 278 times since then. Last updated on August 13, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 9, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 17, 2021