Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Southwest 2

 
 
Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 2 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, April 13, 2014
1. Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 2 Marker
Inscription.  
Original Federal Boundary Stone
District of Columbia
Placed 1791-1792
Protected by Mt. Vernon Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
1916

 
Erected 1916 by Mount Vernon Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Man-Made Features. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), and the Original Federal Boundary Stones series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1916.
 
Location. 38° 48.456′ N, 77° 3.759′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is on Russell Road near King Street & Callahan Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7 Russell Road, Alexandria VA 22301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fighting Back (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away); Alexandria in the Civil War (about 300 feet away); The George Washington Masonic National Memorial
Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 2 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, April 13, 2014
2. Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 2 Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 400 feet away); All Aboard at Alexandria Union Station (about 400 feet away); Visiting Old Town (about 700 feet away); Panoramic View of Alexandria (about 700 feet away); Shuter's Hill (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
 
Also see . . .
1. Boundary Markers of the Original District of Columbia. (PDF) in Virginia. National Register of Historic Places Multiple Property Documentation Form. (Submitted on April 17, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 

2. Boundary Stones of the District of Columbia. (Submitted on April 17, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
 
Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 2 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, April 13, 2014
3. Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 2 Marker
Tourists must stand in the street or lean out from the curb to read this plaque.
Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 2 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, April 13, 2014
4. Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 2
SW 2 is most likely a replacement stone. Marcus Baker reported in 1897 that "SW 2 -- Stood upon the north side of Shuter's Hill, where in late years excavations have been made; not found, and it is thought that it is lost." -- The Boundary Monuments of the District of Columbia, Columbia Historical Society Records, Vol. 1, 1897.
The George Washington Masonic National Memorial. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, April 13, 2014
5. The George Washington Masonic National Memorial.
at King, Callahan and Russell.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 17, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 969 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on August 15, 2020, by Roberto Bernate of Arlington, Virginia. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 17, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=154753

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 23, 2022