Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Campbell in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Barron House

 
 
Barron House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 15, 2020
1. Barron House Marker
Inscription.  In the 1890s G.W. Snyder owned the original 9.1 acre parcel. Ernest S. Barron, sales manager for the Ainsley Packing Company first occupied the commodious California bungalow, built in 1917. The house boasts a large sun porch, gabled dormer and porte-cochere with wisteria vines and iris annuals. The interior beamed ceilings and mirrored, leaded glass dining cabinet are classic for the period.

In 1924 Barron founded Barron-Gray Packing Company (later known as Dole Pineapple Canning Company). That same year Barron died and left the business to his partner Herbert Gray, who developed fruit cocktail in 1926.

In the 1930s the house was residence to realtor Charles W. and Ethel Shumway. The family's deodra cedar Christmas trees were planted in the front yard in 1931, and 1937.

In 1949, Fred I. and Dixie Rice owned the house until 1962 when it was expanded and converted to the Pine Gables Guest House, operated by Beatrice Crill.

In 1970 Marjorie Schneider continued the operation of a home for the aged.

In 1997 Joseph Quilici, and his father Adolph removed the non-original additions, and restored the building to

Barron House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 15, 2020
2. Barron House and Marker
an adaptive commercial office reuse, to buffer the Union Avenue residential areas from the bustling Prune Yard and Campbell Avenue Retail Centers. This portion of Union Avenue in Campbell, has always been occupied by important local business persons, and is a historically and architecturally significant district.

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce.
 
Location. 37° 17.186′ N, 121° 56.115′ W. Marker is in Campbell, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker is on Union Avenue south of East Campbell Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 Union Avenue, Campbell CA 95008, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. South Pacific Coast Railroad (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hamilton House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Agricultural Heritage Plaques (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of J.C. Ainsley Packing Company (approx. 0.4 miles away); Black Walnut Trees (approx. 0.4 miles away); B.O. Curry Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Growers National Bank (approx. 0.4 miles away); Downing Building (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Campbell.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 15, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 52 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 15, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 18, 2021