Near Henrico in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Guarding the River
Fort Brady – 1864
In January 1865, Confederate ships attempted to threaten the Federal supply base downriver at City Point. Passing Fort Brady in darkness, the ships returned Union fire, disabled a large Parrot rifle, killed three Union artillerists, and wounded many in the fort. The foray, known as the battle of Trent’s Reach, ended in failure when the Confederate ironclads ran ito artillery fire and low water south of Fort Brady.
Erected by Richmond National Battlefield Park - National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • War, US Civil.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. 37° 23.476′ N, 77° 21.693′ W. Marker is near Henrico, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker can be reached from Hoke Brady Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is in the Fort Brady Unit of Richmond National Battlefield Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Henrico VA 23231, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Guarding the James (here, next to this marker); Guns of Fort Brady (a few steps from this marker); Powder Magazine (a few steps from this marker); Inside Fort Brady (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Powder Magazine (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Trent's Reach (a few steps from this marker); Union Defensive Lines (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Brady Trail (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Henrico.
More about this marker. The marker features a photograph of “The ironclad C.S.S. Richmond [which] was part of the Confederate expedition to Trent’s Reach.”
Regarding Guarding the River. This marker was replaced by a new one named Guarding the James (See nearby markers).
Also see . . . Battlefield Tour - Ft Gilmer to Ft Brady. Richmond National Battlefield Park website. (Submitted on January 20, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 20, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 783 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 20, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.