Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
John A. Munroe ('36 B.A., '41 M.A.)
This building is named for renowned scholar John A. Munroe an authority on Delaware history and the author of many books, including a history of the University. After receiving his bachelor's and master's degrees from Delaware, he joined the history faculty in 1942, while working on his doctorate (University of Pennsylvania, 1947). He chaired the department from 1952-69 and retired as H. Rodney Sharp Professor of History in 1982. As the primary instructor for the formerly required Delaware history course, Dr. Munroe taught a majority of the University's students for many years. He was one of the first recipients of UD's Francis Alison Faculty Award.
Munroe Hall, home to the Department of Anthropology, incorporates three historic brick homes. 45-56 West Delaware Avenue, originally built as faculty housing before World War I. They were renovated and unified by a two-story addition, and the building was dedicated in 1997.
Erected by University of Delaware.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. University of Delaware series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1942.
Location. 39° 40.903′ N, 75° 45.335′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on West Delaware Avenue (Delaware Route 273) west of Orchard Road, on the left when traveling east. West Delaware Avenue, going east, is also northbound (was southbound before Route 896 realignment) Delaware route 896. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 46-48 West Delaware Avenue, Newark DE 19716, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Deer Park Hotel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); E. A. Trabant University Center (about 500 feet away); Raub Hall (about 600 feet away); George Evans House (about 600 feet away); The Diamonds Walkway (about 800 feet away); R.T. Foard and Jones Funeral Home (about 800 feet away); Harry Fletcher Brown (1867-1944) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wilbur Owen Sypherd (1877-1955) (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on August 15, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.