Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Wings of Thought
Resembling a bird in flight, Wings of Thought by Richard Deutsch celebrates the University of Delaware's long history and its abiding commitment to academic excellence.
Honoring its founder, the Reverend Francis Alison, as well as the many UD faculty who embody Alison's "scholar-schoolmaster " ethos, this iconic hand-carved granite and bronze sculpture was inspired by the University's seal, which depicts an open book. The left-hand page reveals carved images reflecting classical and current knowledge creation. The facing page is left blank, to suggest what is yet to be written by students into the future.
Surrounding the sculpture are granite pavers honoring UD's Francis Alison Professors and faculty recognized for excellence in teaching and mentoring.
Richard Deutsch's numerous awards include fellowships from the American Academy in Rome and the National Endowment for the Arts. Among his commissions for sculpture and art-integrated environments are significant projects for Stanford University, the Oakland Museum of California and major urban plazas for San Francisco, Oakland and Washington D.C. His sculpture is in the permanent collection of the San Francisco's de Young Museum and the Smithsonian Institution.
Erected by University of Delaware.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 39° 40.741′ N, 75° 45.184′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South College Avenue and Kent Way, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 180 S College Ave, Newark DE 19711, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Founder (a few steps from this marker); Mentors' Circle (a few steps from this marker); Dr. Walter J. Hullihen (1875-1944) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Memorial Hall (about 300 feet away); In Memoriam (about 300 feet away); The Visitors Center (about 300 feet away); Hugh Martin Morris (1878-1966) (about 400 feet away); Harry Fletcher Brown (1867-1944) (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. This page has been viewed 46 times since then and 2 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on August 10, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker in context • Can you help?