Rockwall in Rockwall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church of Rockwall
On November 7, 1854, a small group of Presbyterians led by the Rev. John U. Vance gathered together to organize the Rockwall Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Beginning with twenty-three charter members, the congregation met in schools and other church facilities for the first thirty-three years.
In 1887 a building committee was formed under the leadership of the Rev. S. M. Templeton, and property at the present corner of Munson and Fannin streets was purchased. A small frame sanctuary was built in 1888, only to be destroyed by a windstorm three months after its completion. It was soon rebuilt, however, and served the congregation until another church building was constructed on the town square in 1928. That structure was replaced by a new sanctuary at this site in 1980.
Throughout its history, this church has served the community by offering its facilities for outreach programs such as well baby clinics, elementary school tutoring, summer library reading programs, and a food and clothing pantry for the needy. Following the reunion of the Presbyterian denomination in 1983, the name of this congregation was changed to First
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6142.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 54.079′ N, 96° 27.895′ W. Marker is in Rockwall, Texas, in Rockwall County. Marker is on White Hills Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 602 White Hills Drive, Rockwall TX 75087, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Church of Christ in Rockwall (approx. 3.2 miles away); Sterling Rex Barnes (approx. 4.3 miles away); Heath Methodist Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); City of Rowlett (approx. 5.7 miles away); Anderson Family Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church of Rowlett (approx. 6.3 miles away); Chisholm Cemetery (approx. 6.4 miles away); Herfurth House (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockwall.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 16, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.