Near Homer in Dakota County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Built 1857- Closed 1964
Originally erected in the spring of 1857 at Omadi, four miles south of Dakota City, the school shared the townsite’s peril when the Missouri River began to undermine the area. Since the school faced destruction it was moved to Thomas Smith’s claim about two miles south of Homer. Here a new school district was organized.
When construction of the Burlington Railroad from Sioux City to Lincoln began, the school was found to be on railroad property. The building was then shifted to its present site near the old Combs mill. School redistricting eliminated need for the old Combs School, and it closed for the last time May 22, 1964.
The Board of Education of the newly-formed district donated the building to the Dakota County Historical Society, who has set it aside as a monument to the pioneer father’s belief.
Erected by Dakota County Historical Society/Historical Landmark Council. (Marker Number 033.)
Topics. This Education. A significant historical date for this entry is May 22, 1964.
Location. 42° 17.703′ N, 96° 29.307′ W. Marker is near Homer, Nebraska, in Dakota County. Marker is on U.S. 77, 0.2 miles south of Grant Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Homer NE 68030, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. August 16, 1804 (approx. 8.8 miles away in Iowa); August 3, 1804 (approx. 8.8 miles away in Iowa); August 8, 1804 (approx. 8.8 miles away in Iowa); "Corps Of Discovery" (approx. 8.8 miles away in Iowa); Lewis and Clark Expedition / Sergeant Floyd Monument (approx. 8.8 miles away in Iowa); St. John's (approx. 11.3 miles away); First Bride's Grave (approx. 12.7 miles away in Iowa); Herbert Quick Ravine (approx. 12.7 miles away in Iowa).
Regarding Combs School. School House has been relocated to city of Homer.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2020, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 17, 2020, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.