Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Alamo in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Original Alamo School Bell

 
 
Original Alamo School Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, April 15, 2016
1. Original Alamo School Bell Marker
Inscription.  
Used from about 1880 to 1940 in the second Alamo school building which stood at the east side of Danville Blvd. near Stone Valley Road.
 
Erected 1974 by Alamo School Parents Club and the San Ramon Valley Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells 🔔 series list.
 
Location. 37° 52.04′ N, 122° 1.81′ W. Marker is in Alamo, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker can be reached from Wilson Road 0.1 miles north of Livonia Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Wilson Rd, Alamo CA 94507, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the J.M. Jones House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Stone Valley (approx. 1.2 miles away); Alamo Grammar School (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Railroad Put Alamo on the Map (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Tatcan People (approx. 1.9 miles away); Hap Magee Ranch
Original Alamo School Bell and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, April 15, 2016
2. Original Alamo School Bell and Marker
(approx. 2.1 miles away); Broad Spreader of Seed Spreader Wagon (approx. 2.2 miles away); Farmall Tractor - c. 1925 (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alamo.
 
More about this marker. The bell and marker are located in the courtyard of Alamo Elementary School, at the end of Wilson Street.
 
Additional comments.
1.
The name on this bell shows that it could not have existed before 1894. A bell made in 1880 would have said simply "C. S. Bell," because Charles Singleton Bell did not at that point in time have any partners in his foundry. It is possible that this bell was a replacement for an older bell used by the Alamo School.
    — Submitted August 17, 2020, by Carl Scott Zimmerman of Kirkwood, Missouri.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 17, 2016. This page has been viewed 248 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on August 17, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 17, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 24, 2021