Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Orinda in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Santa Maria Chapel, 1892

 
 
The Santa Maria Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, January 31, 2020
1. The Santa Maria Chapel Marker
Inscription.  In keeping with its Spanish and Mexican heritage, the first church in Orinda was Catholic, built by Marie de Laveaga on their estate in 1892. The Santa Maria Chapel held Services intermittently until 1954, when its 19 pews were inadequate for the increased population.

A new Santa Maria Church, accommodating 600 people, was built on Santa Maria Drive and includes a rectory, convent and school.

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 37° 52.865′ N, 122° 11.168′ W. Marker is in Orinda, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is at the intersection of Orinda Way and Santa Maria Way, on the right when traveling north on Orinda Way. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orinda CA 94563, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1923 Orinda Improvement Association (within shouting distance of this marker); 1958 The Orinda Library (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1925 Orinda Union School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Did You Know that Orinda Once Had a Railroad?

The Santa Maria Chapel Marker - wide view (mounted to post on the corner) image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, January 31, 2020
2. The Santa Maria Chapel Marker - wide view (mounted to post on the corner)
(approx. 0.2 miles away); The Crossroads (approx. ¼ mile away); Bryant Station Site (approx. ¼ mile away); Pony Express (approx. ¼ mile away); The Orinda Theatre, 1941 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orinda.
 
More about this marker. The marker itself is about two blocks to the south of the Santa Maria Church.
 
The Santa Maria Church image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 17, 2020
3. The Santa Maria Church
Visible on the left is the 1892 Santa Maria Chapel church bell, which was itself designated an historic landmark by the City of Orinda in June, 1995.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 17, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021