Upper Chichester Township near Boothwyn in Delaware County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Upper Chichester Township / McCaysville
Upper Chichester Township. “Chichester Liberty” was established in 1683 by William Penn. Upper Chichester Township separated from Lower Chichester Township in 1759. The Upper Chichester area was claimed both by the Swedes (1643) and by the Dutch (1654), but both nations were primarily interested only in trading with Lenape. The first evidence of European occupation in Upper Chichester dates to Penn’s grants under his 1681 charter from King Charles II. The “First Purchasers” under Penn’s authority were fourteen English and Welshmen, most of them Quakers.
McCaysville. The regional pattern of independent family farmsteads was followed in Upper Chichester, which retained its rural atmosphere well into the twentieth century. At the intersection of Chichester Avenue & Meetinghouse Road, McCaysville served the civic, social and commercial needs of local residents with a store, chapel and blacksmith shop. The c. 1740 McCay-Pierce House at the corner of the crossroads was used as a school, post office and store.
Erected by Chichester Historical Society
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Quakerism series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1643.
Location. 39° 49.842′ N, 75° 26.363′ W. Marker is near Boothwyn, Pennsylvania, in Delaware County. It is in Upper Chichester Township. Marker is at the intersection of Chichester Avenue and Meetinghouse Road, on the left when traveling west on Chichester Avenue. This is to SE of Meetinghouse Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2400 Chichester Ave, Marcus Hook PA 19061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Memory of Those Who Served (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chichester Meetinghouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lower Chichester Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); Hickman Row (approx. 1.1 miles away in Delaware); Marcus Hook (approx. 1.4 miles away); Robinson House (approx. 1.4 miles away in Delaware); Marcus Hook World War I Memorial (approx. 1˝ miles away); Marcus Hook World War II Veterans (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Boothwyn.
Also see . . . Upper Chichester Township.
Settled in 1681 and became a first class township in 1942. Named for the town of Chichester, in the County of Sussex, England. (Submitted on May 29, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 397 times since then and 65 times this year. Last updated on August 17, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 29, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.