Camp Hancock State Historic Site
Locomotive #2164 was originally used to power the North Coast Limited, the Northern Pacific's premier transcontinental passenger train that ran from Chicago to Seattle. It was used in the operation of branch-line passenger and mixed train service in North Dakota.
Northern Pacific Locomotive #2164 was last used in service on June 4, 1955, on the Jamestown to Pingree run. After its last run it was taken to the Jamestown roundhouse to be drained, cleaned, and completely refurbished, with the intent that it would be displayed at the new Camp Hancock State Historic Site in Bismarck. When retired from service in 1955 the locomotive had operated approximately 1,400,000 miles.
In October of 1955 the locomotive was pulled to Bismarck from Jamestown in the Northern Pacific regular freight run. The southwest portion of the stone
Camp Hancock and locomotive #2164 were dedicated as a new state historic site on October 12, 1955. The locomotive was placed at Camp Hancock to commemorate the role of the Northern Pacific Railroad Company in the 1872 creation of Camp Hancock and the founding of the city of Edwinton (renamed Bismarck) in 1873.
The Northern Pacific Railroad Company was formed on July 2, 1864 and was chartered by President Abraham Lincoln as the first northern transcontinental railroad. In 1896 the name was changed to the Northern Pacific Railway. After almost 107 years of service the NP merged with numerous other railway companies in March 1970 to form the Burlington Northern Railway. The North Coast Limited route was taken over in June 1971 by the newly-formed, government-run National Railroad Passenger Corporation, better known as Amtrak. Amtrak continues to this day to offer the North Coast service, but the route is much changed from the original Northern Pacific Railway.
Locomotive #2164, probably west of Mandan. Date of photo unknown, but likely taken shortly after going into service for the Northern Pacific Railway in 1909.
The dedication ceremony for the Northern Pacific Railroad Locomotive #2164
Erected by State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 46° 48.311′ N, 100° 47.419′ W. Marker is in Bismarck, North Dakota, in Burleigh County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Main Avenue and North 1st Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 E Main Ave, Bismarck ND 58501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Hancock Site Map (here, next to this marker); Hancock History (a few steps from this marker); Episcopalian Services In The Area (a few steps from this marker); Church of the Bread of Life (a few steps from this marker); First News of Custer’s Death (approx. ¼ mile away); The Pioneer Family (approx. 0.9 miles away); All Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); Combat Wounded Veterans (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bismarck.
Also see . . . Camp Hancock State Historic Site. (Submitted on August 18, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 55 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 18, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?