Camp Hancock State Historic Site
After the army post was decommissioned in 1894, the buildings were used as offices and as the director's residence for the U.S. Weather Bureau station until 1940. The Weather Bureau compiles statistics regarding precipitation, wind speed and direction, and barometric pressure. This climatological data is used in forecasting weather
The U.S. Soil Conservation Service occupied the site until May 1949.
The town of Edwinton was established on the banks of the Missouri River in early 1872. The town was named after Edwin L. Johnson, chief engineer of the Northern Pacific Railroad. On July 17, 1873, Edmonton was renamed Bismarck in an attempt to attract German investors to the region to spur railroad construction by the Northern Pacific Railroad. The newly renamed Bismarck had a population of 800 and more than 100 buildings, a quarter of which were saloons and gambling houses.
Photo taken between 1872 and 1875, with the barracks and mess hall in the foreground. The one-story structure to the left is the officers' quarters, the present museum. The log construction of the barracks and mess hall can be clearly seen.
The Weather Station grounds in 1904. The fieldstone wall has been completed, and a sidewalk has been laid down along Main Street.
Bismarck, Main Street looking west, 1973.
Erected by State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Locomotive #2164 (a few steps from this marker); Camp Hancock Site Map (a few steps from this marker); Episcopalian Services In The Area (a few steps from this marker); Church of the Bread of Life (within shouting distance of this marker); First News of Custer’s Death (approx. ¼ mile away); The Pioneer Family (approx. 0.9 miles away); All Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); Combat Wounded Veterans (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bismarck.
Also see . . . Camp Hancock State Historic Site - History. (Submitted on August 19, 2020.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 55 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 18, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.