Bismarck-Deadwood Stage Trail
The first four-horse Concord stagecoaches, owned by the Northwestern Express, Stage and Transportation Company, started over the trail from Bismarck in April 1877 with daily service in operation by May. A typical run toon 36 hours and a one-way ticket cost $23. As many as 26 stagecoaches and more than 200 teams comprised the rolling stock. The Company also utilized many mule and oxen wagons to haul freight. Twenty relay stations and two overnight stations serviced the line.
A shorter trail to the Black Hills was later opened from Pierre, and by the late 1880 the Bismarck route was abandoned by official traffic. The trail subsequently served area ranchers and settlers until a modern road systemwas developed.
Partial funding for this marker made possible by the Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission.
Erected by Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles.
Location. 45° 28.702′ N, 102° 10.17′ W. Marker is near Meadow, South Dakota, in Perkins County. Marker is on South Dakota Route 73 2.4 miles north of South Dakota Route 20, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Meadow SD 57644, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Also see . . . ND State Historical Society article on the Bismarck-Deadwood Stage Trail. (Submitted on July 31, 2020.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Last updated on August 18, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. Photo 1. submitted on July 30, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?