DeSoto in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Otway Bird Nance (1805 - 1874) brought his family here from Kentucky in 1851 and bought this land through the Peters Colony in 1856. Begun in the 1850s, this residence was later enlarged and Victorian detailing added. It originally faced north but was rotated in the early 1900s to face east. Near the farmhouse, a barn, curing shed, and an elevated water tank have been preserved. The Nance family owned this site until 1951. It was purchased by the city of DeSoto in 1975.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6795.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 36.801′ N, 96° 51.681′ W. Marker is in DeSoto, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Greenbrook Drive, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1325 Greenbrook Drive, Desoto TX 75115, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Daniel Cemetery (approx. 1.9 Wheatland Methodist Church (approx. 2½ miles away); Wheatland Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); History of the Duncanville Historical Park Windmill (approx. 3½ miles away); Music Room (approx. 3½ miles away); Penn Springs (approx. 3.7 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Duncanville (approx. 3.7 miles away); First Christian Church of Duncanville (approx. 3.8 miles away).
More about this marker. For more information about Nance Farm email firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out the website https://www.ci.desoto.tx.us/122/Historic-Nance-Farm.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 119 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 18, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.