Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Almont in Lapeer County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

102 South Main Street

Almont Historical Walking Tour Site

 
 
102 South Main Street Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 16, 2020
1. 102 South Main Street Marker
Inscription.  The "Old Newburg" general store on the southwest corner of Main Street was originally built of logs and was the first store built for the selling of dry goods and groceries. Built in 1836, it was originally owned by Charles B. Keeler. In the fire of 1861 it was the only building on this side of the street that survived. The property was used by the Townsend, Farquarson, and RL Taylor General Store. Over the years, Farquarson and Charles Ferguson ran the store and John Hopkins was the clerk. After Mr. Farquarson became ill, the business became the Taylor and Hopkins general store. It was sold to William Cochrane and in 1876 the first Cochrane's Store opened. It was owned by the Cochrane family until they sold it in the 1960's to the Chapotons who continued to operate it as a clothing store. In more recent years, this location has served as a flower shop, tattoo parlor, computer store and cyber café.

A special word of appreciation to Four County Community Foundation for their support with this program.
 
Erected by Almont, Michigan Downtown Development Authority.
 
Topics. This historical marker
102 South Main Street Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 16, 2020
2. 102 South Main Street Marker
is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
 
Location. 42° 55.228′ N, 83° 2.719′ W. Marker is in Almont, Michigan, in Lapeer County. Marker is at the intersection of West St. Clair Street and South Main Street (State Highway 53), on the left when traveling west on West St. Clair Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 South Main Street, Almont MI 48003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 121 South Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 129 South Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 138 South Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Almont's Liberty Pole Dedicated (within shouting distance of this marker); 101 South Main Street—Almont Fountain Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Stephens Memorial Library (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Currier House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Almont Society of the New Church (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Almont.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 20, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 20, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 3, 2021