Cordelia: A Thriving Town
(upper left photo caption:)
At the turn of the 20th century, Cordelia had no shortage of saloons. Thompson's Corner Saloon, built in 1902 and originally named Studer's Casino after owner Henry Studer, has been in business longer than any other bar
(caption middle left photo:)
Interior of one of Cordelia's saloons. Pictured from the right: Henry Schinkel, "Pop" Force, Chris Dunker, and Albert Peter. Many of the early residents of Cordelia and the nearby valleys were German immigrants. Photo ca. 1905.
(upper right photo caption:)
The Moiles Hotel
Cordelia had three hotels to house many of the local quarry workers: the Moiles Hotel, the Cordelia Hotel (also called the Pittman Hotel), and the Halls Hotel. Constructed in the early 1880s, the Moiles Hotel was located across the railroad tracks on the south side of Bridgeport Road. The hotel was blown off its foundation during the Port Chicago blast in 1944, but remained standing until the 1970s. When the owners tore it down they salvaged the decorative posts for use on the porch of a neighboring home. The hotel's masonry root cellar, built in 1897 with stones from the nearby Nelson Hill Quarry, remains in good condition today. Photo ca. 1890.
Cordelia Railroad Depot
The railroad played a vital part in the growth of Cordelia. Originally founded in 1850 just north of its present location,Cordelia was relocated in 1868 next to the new depot of the nearly complete transcontinental railroad. The depot was located on the south side of Cordelia Road about two hundred feet east of Thompson's Corner. When the train arrived in Cordelia, the townspeople would get their mail and other essentials. The train would also take students to Suisun City so they could walk to Armijo High School. Residents even built their beautiful Victorian homes facing the ratlroad tracks. The depot building pictured at right was later replaced with a converted boxcar. Photo ca. 1890.
away); Village of Cordelia Historic District (approx. Ό mile away); Burial Site of Chief Solano (approx. 1.7 miles away); Rockville Station (approx. 2.4 miles away); Rockville Stone Chapel (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cordelia.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 38° 12.663′ N, 122° 7.999′ W. Marker is in Cordelia, California, in Solano County. Marker is at the intersection of Cordelia Road and Ritchie Road, on the right when traveling west on Cordelia Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2147 Cordelia Road, Fairfield CA 94534, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cordelia (here, next to this marker); Thompson's Corner Saloon - 1902 (here, next to this marker); Cordelia and the Fire (a few steps from this marker); Cordelia Begins (approx. Ό mile
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 22, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.