Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Sisterdale in Kendall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Sisterdale

 
 
Sisterdale Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, August 21, 2020
1. Sisterdale Marker
Inscription.  

Abundant natural resources and a well-traveled pathway made this area one of the earliest frontier Hill Country settlements. The Pinto Trail, an ancient Native American Road between Spanish missions in San Antonio and lands north, was a conduit here, crossing the Guadalupe and its local tributaries. Pre-settlement, Henry Karnes led a contingent of Galveston volunteers "to quell Indian disturbances upon our frontier" in October 1839. William R. Sixty was killed on that expedition by the accidental discharge of his rifle, and the nearby creeks were first named Sixty’s Creeks in his honor.

The Adelsverein brought German settlers to Texas in the 1840s, and engineer Nicolaus Zink built his home here in 1847 on the 1280-acre William F. Wilson survey, becoming the first settler of what would become Sisterdale as well as the later-organized Blanco and Kendall Counties. The families of Ottmar (Ottomar) von Behr, George F. Holekamp, Julius Dresel, Carl Beseler, Ernst Kapp and others came soon after. Since nearby landmarks were named Bosom Hill, Sister Hills and Twin Sisters, von Behr suggested the settlers name their village Sisterdale,
Sisterdale Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, August 21, 2020
2. Sisterdale Marker
while also changing the name of the local creeks from Sisty's to Sisters. Von Behr became the first postmaster of Sisterdale on October 23, 1847. The community was not platted but instead a series of large farms populated by German immigrants, many of whom were part of the failed German revolution of 1848. Sisterdale was also one of the Hill Country's Latin settlements, so named because its well-educated citizens often read and debated in that language. 1854 visitor Frederick Law Olmsted was impressed with their free-thinking intellects. Sisterdale remains a historic and scenic Hill Country locale.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
 
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17823.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 29° 58.615′ N, 98° 43.3′ W. Marker is in Sisterdale, Texas, in Kendall County. Marker is on Sisterdale Road (State Highway 473) north of Siebeneicher Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1210 Sisterdale Road, Boerne TX 78006, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Welcome to the Old Tunnel (approx. 10½ miles away); Tunnel of the Fredericksburg & Northern Railway
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 10½ miles away); Meyer Hotel Complex (approx. 11 miles away); Peter Joseph Ingenhuett Homestead (approx. 11 miles away); Comfort Post Office (approx. 11 miles away); Hermann and Antoine Ingenhuett Homestead (approx. 11.1 miles away); The Gass Schmiede (approx. 11.1 miles away); The Founding Freethinkers (approx. 11.1 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 23, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 6, 2021