Roaring Springs in Motley County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Roaring Springs Depot
Under the leadership of Samuel Lazarus (1855-1926), the Quanah, Acme & Pacific Railroad contributed much to Motley County's economic development. One of the townsites along the line, Roaring Springs was platted in 1912, one year before the tracks reached this point. This brick mission revival style depot was completed within a year, and handled passenger and freight traffic until 1971. Roaring Springs' oldest structure, it was purchased by the city in 1972.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4288.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 33° 53.925′ N, 100° 51.349′ W. Marker is in Roaring Springs, Texas, in Motley County. Marker is on 1st near Broadway, on the right when traveling east. The marker is southeast of the intersection of Broadway and 1st. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Roaring Springs TX 79256, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quanah Parker Trail Matador Ranch (approx. 7.1 miles away); Motley County (approx. 7.1 miles away); Traweek House (approx. 8 miles away); Bob's Oil Well (approx. 8 miles away); a different marker also named Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 8.1 miles away); a different marker also named Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 8.2 miles away); Motley County Jail (approx. 8.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 23, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.