Gainesville in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Campaign of Second Manassas
Erected 2000 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number C-28.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical date for this entry is August 25, 1862.
Location. 38° 47.411′ N, 77° 38.053′ W. Marker is in Gainesville, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is on Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gainesville VA 20155, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bull Run Battlefields (here, next to this marker); Second Battle of Manassas (here, next to this marker); Rock Fight (here, next to this marker); The Macrae School (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Shirley Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); In This Area Are Buried (approx. 1.4 miles away); St. Paul's, Episcopal (approx. 1.4 miles away); In Memory of the Union Soldiers (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gainesville.
More about this marker. A marker, erected in the late 1920s or early 1930s with this same title and number, was located at Gainesville close to the junction with SR 55. It read “Stonewall Jackson, moving southward on his march around Pope, was here joined by Stuart with his cavalry, August 26, 1862. From Gainesville, Jackson moved on to Bristoe Station.” —Ed.
Also see . . . Official Reports and Historical Essays on the Campaign and Battle. (Submitted on August 7, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2007. This page has been viewed 1,558 times since then and 46 times this year. Last updated on August 25, 2020, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 6, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.