Glover Park in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Holy Rood Cemetery
Holy Trinity Catholic Church established Holy Rood Cemetery as its parish cemetery on high ground above Georgetown in 1832. The cemetery was expanded in 1853 to the 6.5 acres it is today. Originally known as the Upper Graveyard, in 1886 the cemetery was renamed Holy Rood, taken from the Scottish holy ruid, meaning Holy Cross. In the years following the Civil War, Holy Trinity added a house for the sexton, a hillside holding crypt to accommodate caskets during the winter months, a new gate, a stone retaining wall, and an entrance along High Street, now Wisconsin Avenue.
Holy Rood was an active cemetery until the late 20th century. It contains approximately 7,000 burials, many of them European immigrants who came to America to build the C&O Canal and the city of Washington. It is also the oldest burial ground in the District of Columbia for African Americans, both free and enslaved, including the family of the pioneer educator Anne Marie Becraft. Of additional historic interest is the grave of Joseph Nevitt (1752-1834), an American Revolutionary War veteran. His plot is located along the fence at the western edge of the
In 2010, Georgetown University, current owner of the cemetery, and Holy Trinity began a joint effort to restore and improve the cemetery grounds. To further this work, the University granted an easement allowing Holy Trinity to build a columbarium at Holy Rood for parishioners, university alumni, faculty and staff, families of those interred at the cemetery, and others. The columbarium and the first phase of the cemetery restoration project were completed in 2019.
The Holy Trinity Columbarium is located in the restored holding crypt and in a new granite wall opposite the crypt, in the southeast quadrant of the cemetery.
Erected by Georgetown University and Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Education. In addition, it is included in the Chesapeake and Ohio (C&O) Canal series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
Location. 38° 55.097′ N, 77° 4.211′ W. Marker is in Glover Park in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker is on Wisconsin Avenue Northwest just south of W Place Northwest, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2130 Wisconsin Avenue Northwest, Washington DC 20007, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Georgetown Departed (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dedication to the Dedicated (about 600 feet away); Introduction to Burleith (about 700 feet away); Mapping Art On Call (about 800 feet away); Tunlaw Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Rolling Tobacco Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Famous Burleith Residents (approx. Ό mile away); The Origins of Burleith (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glover Park.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has replaced the linked marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 25, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 22 times this year. Last updated on August 25, 2020, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 25, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.