Hereford in Deaf Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Former Site of St. Anthony's Catholic School
Since its establishment in 1914 Saint Anthony's Catholic School has played a prominent role in preparing young students for advanced classwork. Initial classes were held in a former Deaf Smith County Courthouse converted for church purposes by Father Salvator di Giovanni, S.A., and his assistant, Brother James. A new structure was built in 1927 to house a growing student enrollment and served as the site of Saint Anthony's Catholic School prior to their relocation in 1955. A history museum, exhibiting local pioneer artifacts, has occupied this building since 1966.
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5027.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1914.
Location. 34° 49.119′ N, 102° 23.95′ W. Marker is in Hereford, Texas, in Deaf Smith County. Marker can be reached from Sampson Road. The marker was involved in a vehicle accident and is inside Deaf Smith County Museum until it can be repaired. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Sampson Road, Hereford TX 79045, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Two-Wheel Fire Hose Reel (here, next to this marker); Ghost Towns (a few steps from this marker); Deaf Smith Courthouse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Deaf Smith County (about 500 feet away); Quanah Parker Trail (about 600 feet away); Pioneer Windmill (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mothers Park (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hereford.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 26, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.