Odessa in Ector County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Odessa Petrochemical Complex
In the 1950s, the Odessa Petrochemical Complex was the largest of its kind in the world. The first business to occupy the future complex was the Odessa Natural Gasoline Company founded in 1946 by four west Texas businessmen: W.D. Noel, E.G. Rodman, M.H. McWhirter and J.B Tubb. The aim of these oilmen was to find profitable and efficient applications for the vast quantities of natural gas wasted during the oil refinery process. Natural gas proved useful for the production of certain petrochemicals like butadine and styrene, key ingredients for synthetic rubber.
The Odessa Chamber of Commerce proved eager to expand its economy, and looked to Noel and Rodman to boost prospects of the town. The chamber sanctioned the construction of a butadiene plant in 1956, followed by a Dynagen/General Tire plant in 1957 and a styrene plant in 1958. The El Paso Products Company, a joint venture between the West Texas Gathering Company and El Paso Natural Gas, built a facility and supplied the butadine and styrene plants with natural gas. This plant ultimately grew to be an anchor for the complex.
Additional companies and plants joined
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18244.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 31° 50.998′ N, 102° 22.23′ W. Marker is in Odessa, Texas, in Ector County. Marker is on North Grant Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 620 N Grant Avenue, Odessa TX 79761, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Earl George Rodman, Sr. and William Douglas Noel (a few steps from this marker); The Waddell Pecan Tree (approx. ¼ mile away); World's First Championship Jackrabbit Roping (approx. ¼ mile away); The Jackrabbit (approx. ¼ mile away); Ector County Newspapers (approx. ¼ mile away); Ector County Courthouse (approx. Ector County Land Rush (approx. ¼ mile away); General Matthew D. Ector (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Odessa.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 259 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 26, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.