Jackson in Madison County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Occupation of Jackson
The Union Army in West Tennessee
Confederate troops evacuated Jackson on June 7, 1862, after devastating defeats at Fort Donelson and Shiloh. In the afternoon, the 78th Ohio and 30th Illinois Infantry under Union Gen. John McClernand occupied the town. The 700 Federals seized both railroad depots and the telegraph office, along with Confederate commissary and quartermaster stores. Almost immediately, Lt. Cyrus M. Roberts, 78th Ohio, raised the Stars and Stripes atop the courthouse cupola, where the flag floated over the town.
The following afternoon any lingering thoughts of resistance vanished when Union Gen. John A. Logan marched into Jackson with four infantry regiments, accompanied by three brass bands. Logan, placed in command of the garrison, made his headquarters in the P.J. Murray house on North Royal Street. Gen. Richard J. Oglesby occupied the Peguese house on Main Street. The Union soldiers were spread out in camps all around Jackson, and soon there were twice as many soldiers as local residents. Jackson remained under Union control for another year.
The Federals erected a cotton-bale fort in the center of town and three companies camped
It is of very great importance that your troops should be moved rapidly upon the new line. Pocahontas, La Grange, Moscow, and Collierville are the prominent points to be held by garrisons; the lesser stations will be outposts from these. You can patrol the road from La Grange to Jackson with your battery car so as to keep up the telegraph." -
Union Gen. Stephen A. Hurlbut to Gen. Richard J. Oglesby
Courthouse Square, Jackson, Harper's Weekly, Oct. 11, 1862
Gen. John A. Logan
Courtesy Library of Congress
Gen. Richard J. Oglesby
Courtesy Library of Congress
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 7, 1862.
Location. 35° 36.956′ N, 88° 49.02′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Tennessee, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of East College Street and North Church Street, on the left when traveling east on East College Street. Located in front of the Carnegie Library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 E College St, Jackson TN 38301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jackson's First Free Library (within shouting distance of this marker); 209-217 N. Church (within shouting distance of this marker); 208 N. Liberty (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 312-320 E. Lafayette (about 400 feet away); 316-318 E. Lafayette (about 400 feet away); Holland's Building (about 400 feet away); 117-119 E. Lafayette (about 500 feet away); 115 E. Lafayette (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2020, by David Austin of Scotts Hill, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 169 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 31, 2022, by David Austin of Scotts Hill, Tennessee. 2. submitted on August 27, 2020, by David Austin of Scotts Hill, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.