Houston in Chickasaw County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
In January 1926 the board of trustees approved plans for a new school building designed by architect James Manly Spain of Jackson, MS. The three-story brick building opened November 25, 1927. It was expanded in 1938 by the addition of an eastside annex to accommodate a growing enrollment. In addition to classrooms, study halls, library and administrative offices, it included an auditorium, music rooms, chemistry laboratory, nurse's station and cafeteria. Wintertime heating was provided by steam generated at a furnace in the basement and circulated through radiators located in each room. Open windows provided summertime cooling.
The class of 1928 was the first to hold graduation ceremonies in the new building. From 1928 to 1973 over 2000 students were awarded their high school diplomas here. Graduating classes ranged from fewer than 12 to more than 100.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 33° 53.77′ N, 88° 59.807′ W. Marker is in Houston, Mississippi, in Chickasaw County. Marker is on South Starkville Road north of East Harrington Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located in front of Houston Elementary School. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 South Starkville Road, Houston MS 38851, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Light Columns (here, next to this marker); Pinson Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chickasaw County CSA Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Natchez Trace Through Chickasaw County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chickasaw County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carnegie Library (approx. ¼ mile away); Houston (approx. ¼ mile away); Booker "Bukka" White (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 27, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.