Levelland in Hockley County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created August 21, 1876
Organized February 19, 1921
Named in honor of
George W. Hockley
Commander of the artillery
at San Jacinto. Secretary
of War of the Republic of
Texas. Died in 1851.
called Hockley City until 1912.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 2504.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 19, 1887.
Location. 33° 39.838′ N, 102° 21.924′ W. Marker is in Levelland, Texas, in Hockley County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 385 and Farm to Market Road 2306, on the left when traveling north on U.S. 385. Marker is in roadside park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ransom Canyon TX 79366, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fifth Street Missionary Baptist Church (approx. City of Levelland (approx. 5.4 miles away); Hockley County Cemetery (approx. 5½ miles away); The Spade Ranch (approx. 10.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2014. This page has been viewed 410 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on August 29, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 12, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.