San Marcos in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Augusta Hofheinz House
This house was constructed in 1908 by Mead & Eastwood lumber Co. for Augusta Hofheinz (1849-1903), who owned and operated a hotel he constructed in San Marcos in the late 1870s. Their son, Walter (1880-1943), supervised its construction. Augusta occupied the house until her death in 1924. The Augusta Hofheinz house is a finely detailed example of Classical columns, and a deep entablature. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1992
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10282.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
Location. 29° 52.567′ N, 97° 57.15′ W. Marker is in San Marcos, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is at the intersection of West Hopkins Street and Johnson Avenue, on the right when traveling south on West Hopkins Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1104 West Hopkins Street, San Marcos TX 78666, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of Belvin Street Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wonder Cave (approx. Ό mile away); Site of Coronal Institute (approx. half a mile away); Ulysses Cephas (approx. 0.6 miles away); Eddie Durham (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wesley Chapel A. M. E. Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Calaboose (approx. 0.7 miles away); Farmers Union Gin Company (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Marcos.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 92 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.