Courtland Presbyterian Church
One of Alabama's earliest Presbyterian congregations, this church was founded in September 1821 by the Reverend John Allen as "The Church of Nazareth". In 1833 it was renamed Courtland Presbyterian Church. The first meeting house, just west of today's church on the site of the existing manse, burned in the 1850s. Construction of the present edifice began about 1859 but was not completed until 1868 because of the Civil War. The bricks were made at the nearby Daniel Gilchrist plantation. the church was extensively refurbished following a serious fire in 1957. (Over)
Architecturally this church represents the mingling of classical and Italianate influences common in the late 1850s. The interior follows a plan popular among many Protestant congregations of the tie in placing the main sanctuary on the second floor, with meeting and Sunday school rooms below. The original stained glass windows, of which all but two were destroyed by fire in 1957, reputedly came from Italy. A melodeon, then later a pipe organ, provided early musical accompaniment for congregational singing. (Over)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion.
Location. 34° 40.086′ N, 87° 18.496′ W. Marker is in Courtland, Alabama, in Lawrence County. Marker is on Hamilton Street west of Monroe Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 645 Hamilton St, Courtland AL 35618, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McMahon House (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Courtland's Early Architecture (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Town of Courtland / Early Settlers (approx. 0.2 miles away); The African ~ American Experience (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Roads / One of the South's First Railroads 1832 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Red Rovers / Red Rovers Roster (approx. 0.2 miles away); American Legion - Post 58 (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Cotton Kingdom (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Courtland.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 29, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 61 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 29, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.