Crockett in Houston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Solomon George Givens and his wife Lula (Burleson), both born in Houston County in 1871, were the children of former slaves. They were married in Crockett in 1891, and in 1892 they bought 34 acres of land here. Their farm proved a success and in 1893 they built a large 8-room house at this site. The Givenses were noted for their charity and as leaders in the development of a nearby school and Baptist church; Baptism services took place in a tank on their land. For many years their home was the center of an African-American farming community known as "Givens Hill".
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9864.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Agriculture.
Location. 31° 16.615′ N, 95° 28.143′ W. Marker is in Crockett, Texas, in Houston County. Marker is on Highway 19 one mile south of E Loop 304, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Crockett TX 75835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Beeson-Box Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); The David Crockett Spring (approx. 2.9 miles away); Strode-Pritchett Log Cabin (approx. 2.9 miles away); First National Bank of Crockett (approx. 2.9 miles away); Early Bank Building (approx. 2.9 miles away); W.V. McConnell Building (approx. 2.9 miles away); Houston County Courthouse (approx. 2.9 miles away); Five Courthouses of Houston County (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crockett.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 68 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.