Cumberland in Allegany County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First court held
April 25, 1791, at home of John Graham
North Mechanic Street, - Andrew Bruce, Judge.
Second court held at
Faw's Tavern, Greene Street
First Court House,
just opposite, Act of 1793 occupied 1799
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1794.
Location. 39° 39.058′ N, 78° 46.015′ W. Marker is in Cumberland, Maryland, in Allegany County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Washington Street and Prospect Square. Marker is on Courthouse wall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cumberland MD 21502, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Allegany County Library (a few steps from this marker); On this Site Originally Stood the Headquarters of George Washington (a few steps from this marker); The Parade Ground of Fort Cumberland (a few steps from this marker); President Washington's Last Visit - 1794 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fort Proper (within shouting distance of Famous Personalities at Fort Cumberland (within shouting distance of this marker); Cumberland (within shouting distance of this marker); Allegany County Academy (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 29, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,212 times since then and 12 times this year. Last updated on August 30, 2020, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 29, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.