Brunswick in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
— City of Brunswick —
Queen Square was named by colonial era founders of the city to honor the ruling queens of England. It was the most commercialized of the 14 original city squares.
Parks vs Prosperity
By the 1870s, the railroads, booming forest products business and activity at the Port of Brunswick brought new wealth to the city. Along with it came the need for more public and private business buildings.
Although Brunswick’s original charter forbade the sale or commercial use of city’s squares, a market house was built in the northwest quadrant of Queen Square in 1857. By the 1870s, a number were approved to build a variety of structures, including a coffee house and greengrocer, around the market.
Citizens protested encroachment of the public parks to no avail. Permits were issued with the warning that if the land was later needed for public use, the leases would be terminated and the owners would forfeit the buildings. In 1872, the city discovered that all current leases would had been negotiated improperly, and no further permits for a time.
In the following years, lots in this quadrant of Queen
A rare snowstorm blanketed the building’s unfinished arches. Eventually, all buildings were removed and the northern half of Queen Square reverted to park space. The only additions to the square after 1900 were memorials to inspiring leaders and beautiful trees planted by local civic groups.
After the removal of buildings from the area, it became the ideal place to a passing circus parade. The exciting spectacle would have been the first, and possibly only, time that many Brunswick would have seen a live elephant.
Columbia Downing, Jr: Talented Leader
Columbia Downing Jr. arrived in Brunswick in 1891 at age 36 and made a lasting impact on the city. His talent, confidence and enthusiasm led the way to great financial success that he generously shared with the community. Downing’s holdings included a large naval stores operation, grocery wholesale and provisions and a barrel-making factory. He served as a city Alderman, an organizer of the First National Bank of Brunswick, and a director of the of the Oglethorpe Hotel Company. In 1926, the Downing Memorial Association placed a permanent marker
In 1771, the city of Brunswick. Georgia was laid out according to "the Oglethorpe Plan," named after the colony's founder. General James Edward Oglethorpe. The design featured a grid of 14 large and small squares. The intention of the plan was to create permanent, park-like common areas throughout the city. The squares still bear their original names, which reveal Brunswick's strong historic ties to England.
Signature Squares of Brunswick, a non-profit organization founded to restore and preserve the parks and squares within the historic district of Brunswick, gratefully acknowledges the research contributions of Mia Knight Nichols and the support of the City of Brunswick: Delong-Sweet Foundation: The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc., Magnolia Garden Club; Jekyll Island Authority; Friends of Coastal Georgia History: Downtown Development Authority; Plum Creek Foundation; Jerry Spencer, ASLA, Landscape Architect.
Erected 2015 by Signature Squares of Brunswick.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brunswick GA 31520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Liberty Tree (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Queen Square (within shouting distance of this marker); James Edward Oglethorpe (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Queen Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Capt. Mark Carr (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Queen Square (about 300 feet away); Jekyll Square West (about 700 feet away); Jekyll Square East (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brunswick.
Also see . . . Signature Squares of Brunswick. (Submitted on August 30, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2020. This page has been viewed 78 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on September 1, 2020, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 30, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. 6, 7, 8. submitted on August 31, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. 9, 10. submitted on September 1, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. 11. submitted on August 30, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.