Brunswick in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
— City of Brunswick —
Queen Square was named by Colonial era founders of the city to honor the ruling queens of England. The southeastern quadrant of Queen Square was home to the Brunswick Fire Department from 1876 to 1932.
Brunswick’s prosperity in the late 19th century was largely due to the manufacture of turpentine and other rosin-based items, called naval stores. The Port of Brunswick led the nation in the export of railroad ties. Millions of board feet of lumber left the city docks to help build the country’s westward expansion. While fire protection was important in any city, in Brunswick, with its stacks of easily ignited materials in warehouses and on docks awaiting shipment it was crucial. Photo courtesy of Golden Isles Arts & Humanities Association.
“Our Magnificent and Matchless Fire Engine”
The local newspaper, the Advertiser and Appeal, enthusiastically reported on the move of the volunteer Oceanic Fire Company #1 to their new headquarters on Queen Square in 1876. The transfer was accomplished with great fanfare, as the shinning American LeFrance steam engine
Fire Service for a Growing City
A group of Brunswick citizens formed Mechanics Hook and Ladder Company No. 1 in 1884. By 1885, the station had added a hose tower that stood out as a landmark in the city skyline. By 1890, the city enlarged the fire station and augmented its volunteer fire service with a paid squad, led by Chief J.H. Harrison. Photos courtesy of Captain Chuck Yeargin. Glynn County Fire Department.
A City in Flames
At 11:00 AM on April 3, 1896, sparks from dockside construction equipment set fire to nearby rosin barrels. The blaze was soon out of control, fueled by warehouses full of naval stores, cotton, wood products and other flammable goods. Over half the downtown business section was destroyed. After 12 hours of struggle against high winds and dwindling water pressure, firefighters extinguished the flames. The story of the tragic fire spread nationwide, and Brunswick’s brave firefighters were credited for saving not only lives, but the future of the city as well. Photos courtesy of Golden Isles Arts & Humanities Association.
Moving into the Modern Age
After recovering from the devastating
The entire department was supplied with motorized vehicles in September 1914, thereby ending the use of horse drawn wagons. A move to new headquarters on Gloucester Street in 1932 ended the Queen Square firehouse era., but the lifesaving legacy of Brunswick’s dedicated firefighters lives on. Photos courtesy of Captain Chuck Yeargin, Glynn County Fire Department.
In 1771, the city of Brunswick. Georgia was laid out according to "the Oglethorpe Plan," named after the colony's founder. General James Edward Oglethorpe. The design featured a grid of 14 large and small squares. The intention of the plan was to create permanent, park-like common areas throughout the city. The squares still bear their original names, which reveal Brunswick's strong historic ties to England.
Signature Squares of Brunswick, a non-profit organization founded to restore and preserve the parks and squares within the historic district of Brunswick, gratefully acknowledges the research contributions of Mia Knight Nichols and the support of the City of Brunswick: Delong-Sweet
Erected 2015 by Signature Squares of Brunswick.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles.
Location. 31° 8.765′ N, 81° 29.649′ W. Marker is in Brunswick, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Newcastle Street south of Mansfield Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker located across from Brunswick Old City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brunswick GA 31520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Capt. Mark Carr (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Queen Square (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Queen Square (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Queen Square (within shouting distance of this marker); James Edward Oglethorpe (within shouting distance of this marker); Liberty Tree (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jekyll Square EastJekyll Square West (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brunswick.
Also see . . . Signature Squares of Brunswick. (Submitted on September 1, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 1, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. 7, 8, 9. submitted on September 3, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. 10. submitted on September 4, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.