Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Temple Beth Israel
In 1880, the congregation started to adopt Reform Judaism practices and, with the installation of a pipe organ, joined the Union of American Hebrew Congregations. After moving several times, in 1902 Temple Beth Israel located to its permanent home here at the corner of Cherry and Spring.
Temple Beth Israel is known for its magnificent columns, beautiful stained glass windows,and stained glass dome. The six windows over the choir loft, symbolic of the Six Days of Creation, follow a design by English artist Edward Burne-Jones. The Temple’s Torah scrolls are housed in the Aron Ha-Kodesh, the Holy Ark, in the sanctuary.
Erected 2020 by Temple Beth Israel Community, Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion .
Location. 32° 50.354′ N, 83° 38.015′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is at the intersection of Cherry Street and Spring Street (Georgia Route 19), on the right when traveling east on Cherry Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 892 Cherry Street, Macon GA 31201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Judge Asa Holt House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fencing from Findlay Foundry (about 600 feet away); The First Baptist Church of Christ (about 600 feet away); Civil War Era Maconites of African Ancestry (about 600 feet away); The Stoneman Raid (about 700 feet away); St. Joseph's Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); M. W. Grand Lodge of Georgia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cowles-Bond House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
Regarding Temple Beth Israel. Temple Beth Israel is the oldest Jewish religious congregation in Central Georgia.
Also see . . . Temple Beth Israel - History. (Submitted on September 3, 2020.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 2, 2020, by Jerry Klinger of Boynton Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 8 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on September 2, 2020, by Jerry Klinger of Boynton Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?