Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Novi in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Approaching "Novi Corners"

Headed in Four Directions

 
 
Approaching "Novi Corners" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, September 3, 2020
1. Approaching "Novi Corners" Marker
Inscription.  
The focus of the Novi community...
the intersection of Grand River Avenue and Novi Road. Various buildings have come and gone, within walking distance of this crossing — stores, churches, a school, a hotel, restaurants, village offices and library. On the northwest corner, a series of general stores were followed by a couple of hamburger restaurants. On the northeast corner, an early inn was followed by a couple of gas stations before Novi Town Center came along. On the southeast corner a general store was replaced in 1929 by the current brick building, a familiar landmark amidst change and movement.

You Auto Know
Moeren's store had the first gas pump in the township before the First World War, on a wood platform with a hand-operated pump.

This exhibit is sponsored by the Novi Historical Commission.

Top left image caption:
On the northwest corner, the Moeren general store, about 1920, with Novi Road looking north at the right. Matt Moeren operated the store from 1915 to 1953 when it was torn down.
Photo courtesy of City of Novi

Bottom left image
Approaching "Novi Corners" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, September 3, 2020
2. Approaching "Novi Corners" Marker
caption:

Also on the northwest corner, Bates Hamburgers purchased the site from Dave's Hamburgers in 1985.
Photo courtesy of Novi Library

Middle image caption:
Aerial view of the intersection often called "Novi Corners," looking toward the northeast corner, early 1950s. At the corner now occupied by Novi Towne [sic] Center, Leo Harrawood operated a gas and service station for many years.
Photo courtesy of City of Novi

Top right image caption:
Early view of the intersection, looking west along Grand River Avenue from just east of Novi Road, about 1900. At extreme right is the Novi Hotel, a popular stagecoach inn, on the northeast corner. To the left is a Methodist church near the southwest corner.
Photo courtesy of Novi Historical Commission

Near right bottom image caption:
On the southeast corner, Charles E. Goodell's store, about 1900, looking south down Novi Road past the Novi Town Hall and Baptist church toward Novi Cemetery. The store advertised "general merchandise, sewing machines."
Photo courtesy of Novi Historical Commission

Far right bottom image caption:
Also on the southeast corner, this landmark was the Novi Inn through the 1980s, various stores since then. It was built in 1929 to be a bank, but the bank never opened due to the Great Depression.
Approaching "Novi Corners" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, September 3, 2020
3. Approaching "Novi Corners" Marker
Former Novi Inn building on southeast corner of Novi Road and Grand River Avenue.

 
Erected 2014 by Motorcities National Heritage Area, National Park Service.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the MotorCities National Heritage Area series list.
 
Location. 42° 28.857′ N, 83° 28.521′ W. Marker is in Novi, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is at the intersection of Novi Road and Grand River Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Novi Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 26050 Novi Road, Novi MI 48375, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Novi Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grand River Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Novi's Crucial Crossing (approx. ¼ mile away); High Performance Legend (approx. 1.3 miles away); Novi Township Hall (approx. 1.4 miles away); A Piece of Novi's History / The Fuerst Farmstead (approx. 1.4 miles away); Sharing the Bounty (approx. 1.6 miles away); Knapp Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Novi.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 55 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 8, 2021