Novi in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Jacob and Rebecca Fuerst Farmstead
In 1827 Gamaliel Simmons of New York purchased 160 acres of land from the federal government in what was then Farmington Township. In 1830 the first Novi town meeting was held in the Simmons residence, a Greek Revival structure that stood on this site until the current house was built in 1931. The basement of this house contains the cellar of the Simmons house and incorporates salvaged doors and trim in the interior. The farm had several owners until Jacob and Rebecca Fuerst of Greenfield Township bought it in 1918. The north barn was built by the Dennis family, which owned the farm from 1836 to 1898. One of Novi’s last farm complexes, the site is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Jacob and Rebecca Fuerst purchased this farm in 1918. The Fuersts and their six children expanded the existing orchards to encompass most of their 160 acres. They joined the Erwin and Simmons families and others in establishing Novi as a major fruit grower. Their products included apples, peaches, plums and pears, along with butter and eggs. The large east and south barns, built during the 1920s, and
Erected 2000 by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number L2083.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Agriculture. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1827.
Location. Marker has been reported permanently removed. It was located near 42° 27.809′ N, 83° 29.647′ W. Marker was in Novi, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker could be reached from Taft Road, 0.2 miles south of West Ten Mile Road. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 24000 Taft Road, Novi MI 48375, United States of America.
We have been informed that this sign or monument is no longer there and will not be replaced. This page is an archival view of what was.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. A Piece of Novi's History / The Fuerst Farmstead (about 600 feet away, measured in Novi Township Hall (about 600 feet away); High Performance Legend (approx. 0.2 miles away); Colonel Samuel White / Samuel White Homestead (approx. 0.9 miles away); Novi Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Grand River Bridge (approx. 1.4 miles away); Novi's Crucial Crossing (approx. 1.4 miles away); Knapp Cemetery (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Novi.
Also see . . . National Register of Historic Places Registration Form. Form for nominating the Fuerst Farmstead for the National Register of Historic Places. The form includes descriptions and photos of the buildings as well as sketched maps of the property. (Submitted on September 3, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 145 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 3, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the Michigan historical marker. • Can you help?