West Newbury in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
At this site in 1952
Erected 2020 by West Newbury Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: African Americans.
Location. 42° 48.315′ N, 70° 58.841′ W. Marker is in West Newbury, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Massachusetts Route 113) and Baileys Lane, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. In front of West Newbury's Town Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 491 Main Street, West Newbury MA 01985, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Birthplace of Jacob Bayley (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Site of the Second Parish Meetinghouse (approx. 0.9 miles away); Original site of the First Parish Meetinghouse. (approx. 1.1 miles away); Camp Sylvester (approx. 1˝ miles away); America’s First Comb Industry Birthplace of Cornelius Conway Felton (approx. 1.9 miles away); Near This Site (approx. 2 miles away); a different marker also named Near This Site (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Newbury.
More about this marker. At its November 2019 Town Meeting, West Newbury voted unanimously to use Community Preservation Act funds to install a historic marker honoring Julian D. Steele—the first such white plaque in at least 50 years.
Regarding At this site in 1952. The story behind the marker is one of a civic and religious leader who championed such causes as civil rights and affordable housing and who was “[k]nown and respected in Washington, responsible and influential on Beacon Hill, [but] still reserved time for participation in local government as moderator of the town of West Newbury.”
Also see . . . Historic Markers in West Newbury. (Submitted on September 5, 2020.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 5, 2020. This page has been viewed 47 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 5, 2020. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.