Quihi in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Bethlehem Lutheran Church
The Rev. Christian Oefinger, serving as pastor of the Castroville Lutheran Church, led in founding this congregation in March 1852. The first church building was dedicated in 1854, coincidental with a synod convention held in Castroville. Bethlehem Lutheran Church hosted synod meetings in 1869, 1875, and 1894. The present brick structure, dedicated in 1914, was built largely by parishioners. St. John's Lutheran Church of New Fountain, founded in the late 1850s by the Rev. A. Kitterer and served by Bethlehem's pastor, merged with this congregation in 1949.
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 397.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1852.
Location. 29° 23.632′ N, 99° 1.773′ W. Marker is in Quihi, Texas, in Medina County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 2676 (Farm to Market Road 2676) and County Highway 4520, on the right when travelingTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3901 FM 2676, Hondo TX 78861, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Bethlehem Lutheran Church (a few steps from this marker); Quihi Bethlehem Lutheran Church Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); General Woll's Road (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Town of Quihi (approx. Ό mile away); New Fountain United Methodist Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Early New Fountain Community (approx. 1.8 miles away); Masonic Cemetery (approx. 3½ miles away); Vandenburg (approx. 5½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quihi.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 5, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 5, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.