Seguin in Guadalupe County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This structure was built in 1849 for German immigrant Justus Gombert. The one-room adobe structure, later stuccoed and enlarged, was owned from 1849 to 1859 by Joseph Zorn. After the Civil War, the property was used as a campground for members of the Freedmen's Bureau. Ben McCulloch owned the property briefly in 1870. Demolition of the house was prevented as the first project of the Seguin Conservation Society in 1952. Los Nogales (Spanish for walnuts), as it is now known, was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1962.
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3128.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
Location. 29° 33.968′ N, 97° 57.818′ W. Marker is in Seguin, Texas, in Guadalupe County. Marker is at the intersection of South River Street and East Live Oak, on the left when traveling south on South River Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 415 South River Street, Seguin TX 78155, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Dietz Doll House (a few steps Zies-Vivroux Residence (within shouting distance of this marker); Campbell Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Calaboose (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Guadalupe High School (about 600 feet away); Colonel John Ireland (about 600 feet away); The Alfred H. Koebig Central Park Fountain (about 700 feet away); The Magnolia Hotel (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seguin.
Also see . . . Seguin Conservation Society. (Submitted on September 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.