Mason in Mason County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Broad Street Bridge
In 1914, citizens of Mason petitioned the county commissioners court for a reliable means of crossing Comanche Creek, which separated north and south Mason. Initial construction bids were deemed too high and a second petition was presented in 1917. Because Mason had no railroad to transport large pre-fabricated building materials, the Alamo Construction Company crafted the bridge of reinforced concrete on site in 1918. Perhaps the last concrete truss bridge to remain in Texas, the Broad Street Bridge continued to support vehicular and pedestrian traffic in Mason in 1998.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1998
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12047.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1914.
Location. 30° 45.166′ N, 99° 13.877′ W. Marker is in Mason, Texas, in Mason County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street and Starling Street, on the right when traveling south on Broad Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mason TX 76856, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hofmann Dry Goods Company (approx. Ό mile away); First Comanche-German Meeting (approx. Ό mile away); Mason County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Commercial Bank (approx. 0.3 miles away); R. Grosse and Sons (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Mason & Camp Llano C.S.A. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mason County Jail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mason National Bank (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mason.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 83 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.