Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The town of Kleberg began in 1850 on the land grant of Robert Justus Kleberg (1803 - 1888), veteran of the Republic of Texas Army and a participant in the Battle of San Jacinto. Originally a stage stop where two wagon trails crossed, Kleberg grew into a farming community. After the railroad came in 1881, the town boasted a post office, bank, and a number of retail businesses. The construction of a series of dams and locks on the Trinity River provided jobs in the early 1900s, but a 1908 flood destroyed the work. Incorporated in 1956, Kleberg was annexed by Dallas in 1978.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6753.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 41.116′ N, 96° 36.21′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker can be reached from Edd Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1515 Edd Road, Dallas TX 75253, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies Rylie Prairie (approx. 2.1 miles away); Rylie Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); Seagoville Enemy Alien Detention Station, World War II (approx. 2.8 miles away); Potter Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); Lee Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Bennett Family Gardens (approx. 3.9 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Mesquite (approx. 4.8 miles away); Albert Carver Cemetery (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 214 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 6, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.