Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1878, John Armstrong Rylie donated land at this site for use as a school by settlers of this part of southeast Dallas County. The property came into service as a cemetery with the burial of Redden Allumbaugh in 1889. Since that time, more than 400 persons, including a number of Rylie Prairie community's earliest settlers and their descendants, have been interred here. The cemetery contains the burial of at least one Civil War veteran, Hartwell Bolin Cox. The Rylie Cemetery Association was founded in 1962 to maintain the graveyard.
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6853.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 41.436′ N, 96° 38.558′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Rylie Road, on the right when traveling west. The cemetery is on the north side of Rylie Road directly across from the Nancy Moseley Elementary School at 10400 Rylie Rd., Dallas, TX 75217.Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dallas TX 75217, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rylie Prairie (approx. Ό mile away); Kleberg (approx. 2.3 miles away); Pleasant Grove Christian Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Dawdy's Ferry (approx. 3.9 miles away); Albert Carver Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away); Pleasant Mound Methodist Church (approx. 4½ miles away); Abraham Carver Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away); Seagoville Enemy Alien Detention Station, World War II (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 7, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.