Comfort in Kendall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
San Antonio architect Alfred Giles designed this building for German-born businessman Peter Ingenhuett in 1891. The building was first used a a saloon, originally operated by Ingenhuett's son, Hubert, and later by Ernest Kager. During and after prohibition, the building served as a confectionery, a grocery, and ice cream parlor and a dry goods store. The two story commercial building features large limestone block construction, arched windows with keystones, and a pressed metal cornice with the year of construction and original owner's name in the pediment.
Recorded Texas Historical Landmark - 2009
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15937.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
Location. 29° 57.989′ N, 98° 54.42′ W. Marker is in Comfort, Texas, in Kendall County. Marker is on High Street just west of 8th Street, on the right when traveling Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 727 High Street, Comfort TX 78013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Karger Building (a few steps from this marker); Ingenhuett-Faust Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); The Founding Freethinkers (within shouting distance of this marker); The Gass Schmiede (within shouting distance of this marker); Hermann and Antoine Ingenhuett Homestead (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Arno Schwethelm Building (about 300 feet away); 1907 Comfort State Bank Building (about 400 feet away); Comfort Community Theatre (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Comfort.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 149 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.