Comfort in Kendall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ernst Karger (1861-1922), who owned and operated a saloon on the adjoining property, had this building constructed in 1913. Fritz Anderwald’s pool hall was first to occupy the building, and several other businesses have been located here over the years. Fred Koerlin operated a cabinetry business here after 1951, removing the original storefront and installing garage doors; the façade was later restored. The frame building features a recessed storefront with large pane windows. George L. Mesker & Co. of Evansville, Indiana manufactured the building’s decorative pressed metal façade, pediment and siding.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2009
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15396.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1913.
Location. 29° 57.992′ N, 98° 54.424′ W. Marker is in Comfort, Texas, in Kendall County. Marker is on High Street, 0.1 miles west of 8th Street, on the rightTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 725 High Street, Comfort TX 78013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ingenhuett-Karger Saloon (a few steps from this marker); Ingenhuett-Faust Hotel (a few steps from this marker); The Founding Freethinkers (within shouting distance of this marker); The Gass Schmiede (within shouting distance of this marker); Arno Schwethelm Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hermann and Antoine Ingenhuett Homestead (about 300 feet away); 1907 Comfort State Bank Building (about 400 feet away); Comfort Post Office (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Comfort.
Also see . . . Kendall County, Texas. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on November 27, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.