Delmont in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
New Salem Borough 100th Anniversary
the One Hundredth
of the Incorporation
New Salem Borough
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions.
Location. 40° 24.636′ N, 79° 34.309′ W. Marker is in Delmont, Pennsylvania, in Westmoreland County. Marker is on Greensburg Street just north of Crest Drive, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located near the northwest corner of the Delmont Police Station/Public Library building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 77 Greensburg Street, Delmont PA 15626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Delmont (here, next to this marker); Bushy Run (approx. ¼ mile away); Fairview Park (approx. 1.1 miles away); Pontiac's War (approx. 4.6 miles away); Welcome to Bushy Run Battlefield (approx. 4.7 miles away); Ambush (approx. 4.7 miles away); Bushy Run Battlefield (approx. 4.7 miles away); Forbes Road (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delmont.
Also see . . . Delmont, Pennsylvania (Wikipedia). The 300 acres of land was warranted to William Wilson in 1784 and upon his arrival in 1785 he named the area New Salem. On April 8, 1833, the town was incorporated as "New Salem Borough." The mailing address was Salem Crossroads until 1871, when town postmaster Zachariah Zimmerman changed it to Delmont. The town and the post office carried two different names until May 16, 1967, when residents voted to change the borough's name to Delmont. (Submitted on September 8, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 8, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.